Definition of Frankenfood
Frankenfood: Perjorative term for genetically modified food whether it be derived from genetically engineered plants or animals. This derogatory term was coined from Franken(stein) + food on June 16, 1992 by Paul Lewis, Professor of English at Boston College, who wrote to The New York Times as follows: "...Ever since Mary Shelley's baron rolled his improved human out of the lab, scientists have been bringing just such good things to life. If they want to sell us Frankenfood, perhaps it's time to gather the villagers, light some torches and head to the castle."Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Nutrition and Healthy Eating Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- 11 No-Alcohol Drinks for Diabetes
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication