Definition of Breast discharge
Breast discharge: The spontaneous flow of fluid from the nipple at any time other than during nursing. This can be due to an unrecognized pregnancy, trauma, surgery, overexercise, or certain drugs. It can also be due to cirrhosis of the liver, false pregnancy (pseudocyesis), kidney failure, disorders of the spinal cord, or a prolactinoma, a benign pituitary tumor that secretes the hormone prolactin stimulating milk production.
Also called galactorrhea. Includes witch's milk.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication