Definition of Cholecyst
Cholecyst: The gallbladder. The word cholecyst is not much used today but it figures into a number of other terms to do with the gallbladder Cholecystectomy is removal of the gallbladder. Cholecystitis is inflammation of the gallbladder. Cholecystogram is an x-ray of the gallbladder.
Cholecyst, literally, means, bilebladder. It comes from chol, referring to bile + cyst, a bladder.Cholecystectomy Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication