Definition of Alveolar
Alveolar: Pertaining to the alveoli, the tiny air sacs in the lungs. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide takes place in the alveoli which look like cells in a honeycomb.
The word comes from the Latin diminutive of "alveus" meaning a cavity or hollow = a little cavity or hollow.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication