Definition of Bile acid
Bile acid: An acid made by the liver that works with bile to break down fats.
On a more technical level, bile acids are steroid carboxylic acids derived from cholesterol. The primary bile acids are cholic and chenodeoxycholic acids. They are conjugated with glycine or taurine before they are secreted into the bile.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication