Definition of Cancer, oral
Cancer, oral: A malignant tumor of the mouth area. A sore in the mouth that does not heal can be a warning sign of oral cancer. A biopsy is the only way to determine whether an abnormal area in the oral cavity is cancerous. Oral cancer is almost always caused by tobacco (smoking and chewing) or alcohol use. Surgery to remove the tumor in the mouth is the usual treatment.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Oral Health Resources
- What Can You Do to Prevent Oral Cancer?
- Eww! What's Living In Your Mouth?
- 14 Tips to Stay Off Tobacco
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication