Definition of Serving size
Serving size: 1. The portion of food used as a reference on the nutrition label of that food.
2. The recommended portion of food to be eaten.
The National Cancer Institute defines a serving as:
- One medium-sized fruit (such as apples, oranges, bananas, pears)
- 1/2 cup of raw, cooked, canned or frozen fruits or vegetables
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) of 100% fruit or vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup cut-up fruit
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned legumes (such as beans and peas)
- 1 cup of raw, leafy vegetables (such as lettuce and spinach)
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (such as raisins, apricots, mango)
Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary