Definition of Sexually transmitted infection
Sexually transmitted infection: An infection that can be transferred from one person to another through sexual contact. In this context, sexual contact is more than just sexual intercourse (vaginal and anal) and also includes kissing, oral-genital contact, and the use of sexual "toys," such as vibrators.
Examples of some of the sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are:
The term "sexually transmitted infection (STI)" corresponds to and is meant to replace the older term "sexually transmitted disease (STD).
See also: Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) in Women; Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) in Men.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/28/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Can You Catch a Yeast Infection?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- Tips to Revive Your Sex Drive
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?