Definition of Pregnancy-associated malaria
Pregnancy-associated malaria: A specific syndrome that occurs only in pregnant women and that is characterized by the accumulation in the placenta of red blood cells containing the malarial parasite. Pregnancy-associated malaria causes low birthweight and maternal anemia. Therefore, it is associated with substantial rates of morbidity (disease) and mortality (death) for both the mother and baby.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair