Definition of Salmon safety
Salmon safety: The safety of eating salmon, especially farm-raised salmon. The levels of more than 50 pollutants, including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), were determined in some 700 salmon from around the world. The results reported in 2004 indicated that farmed salmon have higher levels of toxic pollutants than wild salmon caught in the ocean and that the source of the toxic pollutants, as suspected, is the feed. The risks of eating salmon must be weighed against the known health benefits of salmon. See also: Feed contaminant.Most salmon sold in U.S. supermarkets and restaurants are farmed and labeled Atlantic salmon. Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Nutrition and Healthy Eating Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- 11 No-Alcohol Drinks for Diabetes
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication