Definition of Diaphragmatic hernia
Diaphragmatic hernia: Passage of a loop of bowel through the diaphragm muscle. This type of hernia occurs as the bowel from the abdomen protrudes (herniates) upward through the diaphragm into the chest (thoracic) cavity.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?