Definition of Disease, graft-versus-host
Disease, graft-versus-host: Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a rare disorder that occurs when the immune cells from donated bone marrow stem cells or a blood transfusion attack the recipient. The only transplanted tissues that contain enough immune cells (specifically T-lymphocytes) to cause GVHD are the blood and the bone marrow. This condition typically occurs in patients who have extremely weakened immune systems. Also called GVHD.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Is a Clinical Trial Right for You?
- The Immune System's Role in Cancer
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication