Definition of Compassionate use
Compassionate use: Term formerly used in the US for a method of providing experimental therapeutics prior to final FDA approval for use in humans. This procedure was used with very sick individuals who have no other treatment options. Often, case-by-case approval was obtained from the FDA for "compassionate use" of a drug or therapy. The use of this term is now discouraged by the FDA.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Drugs and Treatment Resources
- Psoriasis Treatment Strategies for You and Your Doctor
- 4 Vitamins and Minerals Adults Need
- Is Hormone Replacement Therapy for You?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair