Definition of Diverticulitis, treatment of acute
Diverticulitis, treatment of acute: Antibiotics are usually needed. Oral antibiotics are sufficient when symptoms are mild. Liquid or low fiber foods are advised during acute diverticulitis attacks. In severe diverticulitis with high fever , pain and distension, patients are hospitalized and given intravenous antibiotics. Surgery is needed for persistent bowel obstruction or abscesses not responding to antibiotics.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?