Definition of Chocolate
Chocolate: A food or flavoring made from the seeds of the cacao or chocolate tree. Chocolate (especially dark chocolate) is rich in flavonoids, compounds that act as antioxidants. Flavonoids may also lower blood pressure and improve blood flow, by regulating the synthesis of nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels. Flavonoids, like aspirin, help keep platelets from aggregating on vessel walls. Thus, chocolate may have health benefits, provided it is consumed in moderation.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Nutrition and Healthy Eating Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- 11 No-Alcohol Drinks for Diabetes
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication