Definition of Hypochondria
Hypochondria:1. Excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness. Also known as a health phobia or anxiety. Patients having this disorder are known as hypochondriacs. Such patients may become alarmed about even minor physical symptoms, which they interpret as representing significant health problems. Synonym for the disorder officially called hypochondriasis. 2. The plural of hypochondrium, referring to both sides of upper abdomen just below the rib cage.
The ancients believed hypochondriasis was due to disturbed function of the organs of the upper abdomen.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Mental Health Resources
- Depression Treatment Tips
- Insurance Coverage for Mental Health Care
- 6 Tips for Getting an ADHD Child to Eat
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?