Definition of Gastroenterology
Gastroenterology: The medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the digestive system. These disorders may affect the esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon), rectum, liver, gallbladder, or pancreas.
Gastroenterology is popularly (and incorrectly) known as "GI" (which stands for gastrointestinal).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication