Definition of Androstenedione
Androstenedione: A steroid produced in the adrenal gland that is a precursor to testosterone and other male hormones (androgens). Known popularly as andro, it has been used as a supplement to increase muscle strength. Taking andro raises testosterone levels above normal. Side effects include acne, male baldness, and a decrease in 'good' cholesterol (which may predispose to heart disease and stroke).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Complementary Medicine Resources
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- 4 Vitamins and Minerals Adults Need
- Can Yogurt Cure a Yeast Infection?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?