Definition of Hepatic encephalopathy
Hepatic encephalopathy: Brain dysfunction directly due to liver dysfunction, most often recognized in advanced liver disease. Hepatic encephalopathy may cause disturbances of consciousness and progress to coma.
Hepatic encephalopathy is sometimes said to be synonymous with hepatic coma but this is incorrect. Hepatic coma is the end-stage of the process.
In minimal hepatic encephalopathy (MHE), there may be subtle impairment of behavior, intelligence, and neuromuscular function. Driving ability in MHE may be diminished.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication