Definition of Hepatic encephalopathy
Hepatic encephalopathy: Brain dysfunction directly due to liver dysfunction, most often recognized in advanced liver disease. Hepatic encephalopathy may cause disturbances of consciousness and progress to coma.
Hepatic encephalopathy is sometimes said to be synonymous with hepatic coma but this is incorrect. Hepatic coma is the end-stage of the process.
In minimal hepatic encephalopathy (MHE), there may be subtle impairment of behavior, intelligence, and neuromuscular function. Driving ability in MHE may be diminished.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu