Definition of B. burgdorferi
B. burgdorferi: Short for Borrelia burgdorferi, the cause of Lyme disease. Once the full name of a bacterium has been given, it is customary to refer to it in its short form. For example, "Borrelia burgdorferi...is responsible for Lyme disease, which can lead to debilitating symptoms in humans....Estimates from prior studies of ticks infected with B. burgdorferi in Mendocino County are higher." See also: Borrelia.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication