Definition of Epidural hematoma
Epidural hematoma: A hematoma between the skull and the brain's tissue-like covering, which is known as the dura. Epidural hematoma is usually caused by a full-on blow to the head and is often associated with skull fracture. Diagnosis is usually made via MRI or CT scan. Treatment is trepanation: drilling through the skull to drain the excess blood.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/30/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair