Definition of Alternative medical system
Alternative medical system: An umbrella term for a number of practices beyond the scope of conventional medicine. These forms of alternative medicine are built upon a complete system of ideas and practice and may have evolved in Western or non-Western cultures. Examples include Ayurveda, Chiropractic, Homeopathy, Naturopathic medicine, Osteopathy, and Traditional Chinese medicine.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Complementary Medicine Resources
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- 4 Vitamins and Minerals Adults Need
- Can Yogurt Cure a Yeast Infection?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?