Definition of Psychotherapy
Psychotherapy: The treatment of a behavior disorders, mental illness, or any other condition by psychological means. Psychotherapy may utilize insight, persuasion, suggestion, reassurance, and instruction so that patients may see themselves and their problems more realistically and have the desire to cope effectively with them.
There are many possible definitions of psychotherapy, just as there are many different types of psychotherapy, including -- just to mention a few -- cognitive-behavioral therapy, family therapy, interpersonal therapy, and psychodynamic therapy.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Mental Health Resources
- Depression Treatment Tips
- Insurance Coverage for Mental Health Care
- 6 Tips for Getting an ADHD Child to Eat
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu