Definition of Estrogen, designer
Estrogen, designer: An engineered drug that possesses some, but not all, of the actions of estrogen. Also known as selective estrogen-receptor modulator (SERM). For example, raloxifene (brand name: Evista) is classified as a designer estrogen because, like estrogen, it prevents bone loss and lowers serum cholesterol; however, it does not stimulate the endometrial lining of the uterus.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/30/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Drugs and Treatment Resources
- Psoriasis Treatment Strategies for You and Your Doctor
- 4 Vitamins and Minerals Adults Need
- Is Hormone Replacement Therapy for You?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair