Definition of CCR5
CCR5: A chemokine receptor found on monocytes and lymphocytes that serves as the coreceptor for HIV. HIV strains that use this coreceptor are referred to as R5 viruses. Polymorphisms in the coding and non-coding regions of the CCR5 gene influence the natural history of HIV infection. CCR5 (or CCCR5) stands for the CC chemokine receptor 5.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Resources for Staying Well
- HIV-AIDS: Myths and Facts
- Understanding The Symptoms of AIDS/HIV
- The Top 10 Myths About HIV and AIDS
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu