Definition of Sneeze
Sneeze: 1. As a verb, to suddenly expel air through the nose and mouth by an involuntary contraction of the muscles of expiration. 2. As a noun, the act of sneezing.
Sneezing is commonly caused by irritation of the nasal passages, as from pollens, house dust, pepper, or other particles. The sound of the word "sneeze" suggests the act. See also: Achoo syndrome; Photic sneeze reflex.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Cold and Flu Resources
- Learn How to Treat and Conceal Cold Sores
- Myths and Facts About Your Immune System
- Tips for Dry Skin
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?