Definition of Fragile X chromosome
Fragile X chromosome: An X chromosome with a heritable fragile site associated with a frequent form of mental retardation -- the fragile X syndrome.
The fragile X chromosome was first sighted by Dr. Herbert A. Lubs in 1969 who termed it the "marker X.". The fragile X is also called FRAXA. It was the first fragile site found on the X chromosome.
The fragile X chromosome is due to a trinucleotide repeat sequence (a recurring motif of 3 bases) in the DNA at that spot.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Being There for Your Child With Type 1 Diabetes
- Your Premature Baby: Milestones for the First 18 Months
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication