Definition of Hemolytic anemia
Hemolytic anemia: Anemia due to the destruction, rather than underproduction, of red blood cells. Hemolytic anemia can result from a medication reaction, from the immune system attacking the red blood cells (autoimmune hemolytic anemia), from destruction of blood cells passing through diseased heart valves, and other causes.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- How Is Atrial Fibrillation Affecting You?
- Men and Iron Supplements
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication