Definition of Homeobox gene
Homeobox gene: A gene containing a short DNA sequence of about 180 base pairs referred to as a homeobox. Homeobox genes encode proteins that bind and regulate the expression of DNA in multicellular organisms. Homeoboxes are present in the genomes of many organisms from fruit flies to humans, and they appear to determine when particular groups of genes are expressed during embryonic development.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Complementary Medicine Resources
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Relaxation Techniques for Migraines
- Can Yogurt Cure a Yeast Infection?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?