Definition of Body integrity identity disorder
Body integrity identity disorder: (BIID) A psychological condition in which the individual actively seeks an elective amputation. Individuals with the disorder have the persistent desire to have their body physically match the idealized image they have of themselves. This desire forces individuals to deal with the paradox of losing one or more limbs to become whole.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Mental Health Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- 10 Problem That Could Mean Adult ADHD
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication