Definition of Choanal stenosis
Choanal stenosis: Abnormal narrowing of the choana, the passageway from the back of one side of the nose to the throat. The choana is shaped like the opening of a train tunnel in a mountain which then opens into the space called the nasopharynx. There are two choanae. The choanae must be open to permit breathing through the nose. Choanal stenosis can occur as an isolated birth defect in an otherwise normal baby or it may be part of a syndrome. Surgery is needed to repair choanal stenosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?