Definition of Traditional midwife
Traditional midwife: A direct-entry midwife practicing within the confines of traditional folk medicine. Traditional midwives are now very rare in the US, but preside over the majority of births in many other countries. Most have no formal medical training, but instead learned as an apprentice or through direct experience.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?