Definition of Lower GI series
Lower GI series: Short for lower gastrointestinal series. A series of x-rays of the rectum, colon and lower section of the small intestine taken after the patient has a barium enema. Barium is a white, chalky substance that coats the organs so they will show up on the x-ray. Also called a barium enema or a barium enema x-ray.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu