Definition of Lower GI series
Lower GI series: Short for lower gastrointestinal series. A series of x-rays of the rectum, colon and lower section of the small intestine taken after the patient has a barium enema. Barium is a white, chalky substance that coats the organs so they will show up on the x-ray. Also called a barium enema or a barium enema x-ray.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?