Definition of Parturition
Parturition: Childbirth, the process of delivering the baby and placenta from the uterus to the vagina to the outside world. Also called labor and delivery.
Parturition comes from the Latin parturire, "to be ready to bear young" and is related to partus, the past participle of parere, "to produce."Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?