Definition of Presentation, vertex
Presentation, vertex: In a vertex presentation, the top of the baby's head comes first at delivery. The vertex here refers specifically to the top of the head The word "vertex" in Latin means a "whirlpool, whirlwind." Why "top of the head"? Because the hairs on the top of the head often form a whorl, a whirl-like pattern.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?