Definition of Test, allergy skin
Test, allergy skin: Test done on the skin to identify the allergy substance (the allergen) that is triggering the allergic reaction.
A small amount of the suspected allergy-provoking substance is placed on the skin. The skin is then gently scratched through the small drop with a special sterile needle.
If the skin reddens and, more importantly, if it swells, then the test is read as positive and allergy to that substance is considered probable.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Allergic Rhinitis: Symptoms and Treatments
- Antihistamines vs. Decongestants
- Treating Severe Allergies
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?