Definition of Testicles
Testicles: The testicles (also called testes or gonads) are the male sex glands. They are located behind the penis in a pouch of skin called the scrotum. The testicles produce and store sperm, and they are also the body's main source of male hormones (testosterone). These hormones control the development of the reproductive organs and other male characteristics, such as body and facial hair, low voice, and wide shoulders.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Men's Health Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Do Baseball Caps Cause Baldness?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication