Definition of Tophus
Tophus: A nodular mass of uric acid crystals. Tophi are characteristically deposited in different soft tissue areas of the body in chronic (tophaceous) gout. Even though tophi are most commonly found as hard nodules around the fingers, at the tips of the elbows, and around the big toe, they can appear anywhere in the body. They have been reported in unexpected areas such as in the ears, in the vocal cords, and around the spinal cord.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication