The following guidelines have been established by WebMD to govern various aspects of Advertising on the WebMD Network, which includes websites and mobile applications directed to consumers, which we refer to as the "WebMD Consumer Properties," and websites and mobile applications directed to healthcare professionals, which we refer to as the "WebMD Professional Properties." As used in this policy, the terms "Advertising" and "Advertisements" include third party banners, badges, contextual advertising, and sponsored content. The guidelines in this policy govern issues like acceptance of Advertisements by WebMD, how Advertisements are displayed on the WebMD Network, and the removal of Advertisements from the WebMD Network. WebMD has sole and absolute discretion with respect to interpretation and enforcement of this policy and all other issues associated with Advertising on the WebMD Network. WebMD may change this policy at any time in its sole discretion by posting a revised policy to the applicable WebMD Property.
- WebMD has sole discretion for determining the types of Advertising that will be accepted and displayed on the WebMD Network, and under no circumstances will WebMD's acceptance of any Advertisement be considered an endorsement of the product(s) and/or service(s) advertised or for the company that advertises, manufactures, distributes, or promotes the products or services.
- WebMD will not accept Advertising that, in WebMD's opinion, is not factually accurate and in good taste.
- There are certain categories of advertisements that WebMD will not permit on the WebMD Network at any time. These categories include but are not limited to the following:
WebMD recognizes and maintains a distinct separation between advertising and sponsored content and editorial content. All Advertising or sponsored content on the WebMD Network will be clearly and unambiguously identified. WebMD will not allow any Advertising on a WebMD Consumer Property that is not identified with the label of "Advertisement," "From Our Sponsor" or a similar designation, or on a WebMD Professional Property that is not identified with the label of "Advertisement," "Information from Industry," "From Our Sponsor" or some similar designation indicating that the content is being provided by or on behalf of the sponsor.
A click on an Advertisement may only link the end user to the third-party advertiser's site or to relevant sponsored content area on a WebMD Property.
WebMD retains the exclusive right to determine how any and all search results for specific information by keyword or topic are displayed on applicable WebMD Properties based on WebMD delivered search results. Content listed in search results is displayed with its source, e.g., "WebMD News" or "Journal Article." If sponsored content appears in the search results, it is labeled as "WebMD Sponsor" on the applicable WebMD Consumer Properties and "Industry Information" on the applicable WebMD Professional Properties so that users can make informed decisions about the content they wish to view. In addition, WebMD provides a separate area on the search results page of applicable WebMD Consumer Properties labeled "WebMD Sponsors" or "Featured Sponsor on WebMD" in which sponsors and advertisers may purchase space to list their content or advertising.
As described in the "Ads by Google" hyper link in the Ads by Google section on applicable WebMD Consumer Properties Search pages, these "Ads by Google!" are listings that have been purchased by companies that want to have links to their websites appear adjacent to search results in response to specific terms. WebMD may receive payment from Google in connection with displaying the sponsored link results on these WebMD Consumer Properties or based on clicks on these links.
While third party (sponsor or advertiser produced) content must adhere to this Advertising Policy, labeling of sponsored content on the WebMD Consumer Properties is governed by Our Sponsor Policy, which describes how we label information from our Sponsors and the steps we take to help our end users understand the differences between WebMD content and sponsored content.
Advertising on the WebMD Professional Properties may not link directly to a registration/email capture page. Any user registration or email capture pages resulting from an ad click on a WebMD Professional Properties must be, at minimum, two clicks away from the original Advertisement. The WebMD Professional Properties will not run Advertising that requires registration and/or log-in in order to view a significant portion of the content of the Advertising or the related site. WebMD reserves the right to determine what level is 'significant'.
WebMD reserves the right to approve whether it will accept, reject, cancel, or remove at any time any Advertising from the WebMD Network for any reason and will provide prompt notice to the advertiser upon rejection, cancellation, or removal of any Advertising, together with an explanation following the rejection, cancellation, or removal.
It is the Advertiser's responsibility to comply with all domestic and foreign laws and regulations applicable to its Advertising within the WebMD Network (and to include all legally required legends, disclosures and statements in such Advertising), including without limitation the current FDA guidelines for Direct to Physician (DTP) and Direct to Consumer (DTC) advertising. WebMD will not monitor compliance with such laws and regulations. However, WebMD reserves the right to review all Advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if WebMD becomes aware of any breach or potential breach of any applicable law or regulation or of these guidelines, WebMD may remove the Advertising from the WebMD Network.
No Advertising on the WebMD Network shall include any pixels, tags, flash containers or any other type of information collection software code or shall place any beacons, cookies or other information collection devices on the browsers of users of the WebMD Network unless expressly approved in writing by WebMD. No personally-identifiable information may be collected from any user of the WebMD Network without the express written consent of WebMD and the express opt-in consent of such user. No non-personally-identifiable information that is collected from a user of the WebMD Network may be linked to any personally-identifiable information available to an Advertiser without the express written consent of WebMD.
- Illegal, 'objectionable', 'ineffective' and/or 'dangerous' products (WebMD reserves the right to determine what is 'objectionable', 'ineffective' and/or 'dangerous')
- fraudulent, deceptive, illicit, misleading or offensive material
- material that misrepresents, ridicules, discriminates (real or implied) or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other status deemed inappropriate for the WebMD Network
- weapons, firearms, ammunition, or fireworks
- pornography or related themes
- tobacco use of any kind
- the simulation of news or an emergency
- material that directly advertises products to or is intended to attract children under the age of 13
- media or messages for or that reference "M" rated video games or content
- unreasonable, unlikely or extraordinary product or service claims
- media messages or imagery that strobe or flash
- media or messages that contain unsubstantiated "miracle" weight loss or other miracle claims of cure
- advertising units that extend beyond the defined advertising space or interfere with the content or impact the readability of the content without user initiation
- advertising units that do not retract to the defined advertising space upon user scroll off or do not contain a "close" or "X" for user to retract or close the ad unit/message after user initiation
- advertising units that mimic computer functions or deceptively indicate a computer or other function that would be reasonable to the average user to assume as a reason to click the unit
Last Updated: September 16, 2014
©2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.