Definition of Lactase
Lactase: Enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar lactose into glucose and galactose. Persons with a deficiency of lactase (alactasia) in the gut can develop abdominal cramping and diarrhea after ingesting milk products.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Nutrition and Healthy Eating Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- 11 No-Alcohol Drinks for Diabetes
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication