Definition of Colitis, amebic
Colitis, amebic: Amebic dysentery (inflammation of the intestine) with ulcers in the colon due to infection with an ameba (Entamoeba histolytica), a single-celled parasite transmitted to humans via contaminated water and food. "Ameba" is from the Greek "amoibe" meaning "change" because amebae constantly change shape.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Should You Have Surgery?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication