Definition of Cortisone
Cortisone: A naturally occurring adrenocorticoid hormone that is produced in minute amounts by the adrenal gland. Synthetic cortisone is also available; it is metabolized by the body into cortisol. Uses for synthetic oral, intramuscular, and intravenous cortisone medications include treatment of adrenocortical deficiency and treatment of conditions associated with inflammation. A popular topical form is known as hydrocortisone cream.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Are You Managing Your RA?
- Arthritis and Lyme Disease
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?