Definition of A-
A-: Prefix indicating the absence or depletion of something: for example, aphagia (not eating) or aphonia (voiceless). The related prefix an- is usually used before a vowel, as in anemia (without blood) and anoxia (without oxygen).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Can You Prevent a Yeast Infection?
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Tips for Dealing With Menopause Symptoms
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair