Definition of Amoeba
Amoeba: Also ameba. A single-celled (protozoan) organism that constantly changes shape. The word "ameba" is from the Greek "amoibe" meaning "change." Ameba can infect the bowels to cause diarrhea and the liver to cause abscess formation.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?