Definition of Amoeba
Amoeba: Also ameba. A single-celled (protozoan) organism that constantly changes shape. The word "ameba" is from the Greek "amoibe" meaning "change." Ameba can infect the bowels to cause diarrhea and the liver to cause abscess formation.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu