Definition of Aging, National Institute on
Aging, National Institute on: One of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH). The mission of the National Institute on Aging is to "lead a national program of research on the biomedical, social, and behavioral aspects of the aging process; the prevention of age-related diseases and disabilities; and the promotion of a better quality of life for all older Americans."
The National Institute on Aging was founded in 1974. It is one of two institutes of the NIH based on life stages. The other is the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Healthy Aging Resources
- 10 Symptoms of a COPD Flare-Up
- The Immune System's Role in Cancer
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication