Definition of Disorder, attention deficit (ADD)
Disorder, attention deficit (ADD): An inability to control behavior due to difficulty in processing neural stimuli.
In November, 1998 the National Institutes of Health (NIH) issued a consensus report developed by a panel of experts. The panel concluded that:
Although there is no independent, validated test for ADD, some well-tested diagnostic interview methods have proved useful.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Need Help Managing Your Child's ADHD?
- 6 Parenting Tips for Raising Kids With ADHD
- The Truth About Childhood ADHD
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu