Definition of Anoscope
Anoscope: An Anoscope is an instrument used for visualization of the anus and lowest portion of the rectum. An anoscope is a tube that can be inserted with a lubricant into the anal canal. When the tube is inserted, a light source in the tube allows the examiner to visualize the wall of the anus and lower rectum. An anoscope is used to identify abnormalities in the anus and lower rectum, such as hemorrhoids, inflammation, or tumors.
Anoscopy can be performed in the doctor's office without any special preparation to empty the colon. In most cases this procedure, patients may feel pressure similar to the pressure of a bowel movement.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?