Definition of Anoscopy
Anoscopy: Anoscopy is a procedure used to visualize the wall of the anus and lowest portion of the rectum. Anoscopy can be performed in the doctor's office without any special preparation to empty the colon. The anoscope is the instrument used to allow visualization of the wall of the anus and identification of abnormalities such as inflammation, tumors, trauma, or hemorrhoids in the anal canal. In this procedure patients may feel pressure similar to the pressure of a bowel movement.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?