Definition of Anoscopy
Anoscopy: Anoscopy is a procedure used to visualize the wall of the anus and lowest portion of the rectum. Anoscopy can be performed in the doctor's office without any special preparation to empty the colon. The anoscope is the instrument used to allow visualization of the wall of the anus and identification of abnormalities such as inflammation, tumors, trauma, or hemorrhoids in the anal canal. In this procedure patients may feel pressure similar to the pressure of a bowel movement.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu