Definition of Puerperium
Puerperium: The time immediately after the delivery of a baby. (In Latin a "puerpera" is a woman in childbirth since "puer" means child and "parere" means to give birth.) Puerperal fever is childbirth (or childbed) fever due to an infection usually of the placental site within the uterus. If that infection involves the bloodstream, it constitutes puerperal sepsis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?