Definition of Belly
Belly: That part of the body that contains all of the structures between the chest and the pelvis. Also called the abdomen.
The belly (or abdomen) is separated anatomically from the chest by the diaphragm, the powerful muscle spanning the body cavity below the lungs.
The belly contains a host of organs including the stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum, liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, appendix, gallbladder, and bladder.
The word "abdomen" has a curious story behind it. It comes from the Latin "abdodere", to hide. The idea was that whatever was eaten was hidden in the abdomen.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?